How to be a ‘misfit’ entrepreneur
This episode is a discussion with Kate Toon – copywriter, speaker, podcaster, author and SEO expert. We talk about copywriting, building a personal brand, and what it means to be a ‘misfit entrepreneur’.
- Kate Toon on LinkedIn
- Kate’s Site
- Confessions of a Misfit Entrepreneur
- Hot Copy Podcast
- Kate’s SEO Courses
- Kate’s Copywriting Courses
- The Misfit Entrepreneurs with Kate Toon
- Confessions of an Advertising Man by David Ogilvy
You’re listening to The Growth Manifesto Podcast, a Zoom video series brought to you by Webprofits – a digital growth consultancy that helps global and national businesses attract, acquire, and retain customers through digital marketing.
Hosted by Alex Cleanthous.
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/webprofitstv/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/webprofits/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/web-profits/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Webprofits/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/webprofits
- Agency: https://www.webprofits.io
- 00:01:12 Kate’s introduction to the Growth Manifesto Podcast.
- 00:03:17 Why did you get into copywriting?
- 00:04:15 How did working in Ogilvy influence your career?
- 00:05:52 How would you describe your approach to copywriting?
- 00:07:43 How do you approach writing for businesses that don’t want to be as risky with their tone and copy?
- 00:09:54 Why Kate thinks copywriting is the neglected child of the marketing world
- 00:11:48 Kate tells us the best way to educate somebody on different kinds of copy and talks about the “We-We Test”
- 00:14:18 Kate’s approach to understanding the customer is talking to them and getting to know their “BDF” (Preconceived Beliefs, Deepest Desires, Darkest Fears) & their “CGF” (Clive Google Factor).
- 00:18:52 What’s the difference between Conversion Copy and SEO Copy?
- 00:22:38 Where do you see companies going wrong with copy?
- 00:24:47 How did you build your personal brand without spending any money on ads?
- 00:30:12 Kate tells us about how she actually sold her SEO course before she built it.
- 00:31:54 What are some of the key insights you got in your career about email marketing that you recommend people use?
- 00:37:26 Kate talks to us about the various courses she offers.
- 00:38:41 What are some of the strategies you’ve used to retain people on your membership site?
- 00:41:07 Kate tells us about her “Tooniverse” which won the SEMRush award for the best SEO community a couple of years ago.
- 00:43:20 How much time do you spend and what’s your approach on moderating your community?
- 00:45:30 How long did it take you to get to the point where you value your time strongly and ignore negative comments?
- 00:48:05 Kate tells us about her book “Confessions of a Misfit Entrepreneur”
- 00:51:20 Kate and Alex talk about embracing your odd and being your true self
- 00:55:29 Kate tells us why she has “hula-hooper” in her job description
- 00:56:35 Quickfire questions with Kate
- 00:58:16 Where would you want the people listening to go and connect with you?
Now that you’re here…
Why not take a few minutes to see how Webprofits can help you achieve your growth aspirations?
We helped one company grow from $25M to $190M revenue in 4 years, and we work with challenger brands that want to make a serious impact in their industry and have the resources (and the will) to make it happen.
If you want a growth strategy that leads the way in your industry, find out how Webprofits can help you transform your digital marketing.See what we can do